nettime's_drive_thru on Fri, 7 Jun 2013 02:49:50 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> McWiener digest x3 [newmedia, mckelvey, newmedia]

Re: We are what we tweet: The Problem with a Big Data World when Ev...

     Newmedia@aol.com
     Fenwick Mckelvey <mckelveyf@gmail.com>
     Newmedia@aol.com

From: Newmedia@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 08:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: We are what we tweet: The Problem with a Big Data World when Ev...

Fenwick et al:

> There's no coherent analysis to be had of this at the moment.

Incoherence is precisely the problem we all face and, around here, it  is
largely because people have been reading too much Deleuze and *not*  enough
McLuhan or Wiener (or, for that matter Leibniz).

Read McLuhan's "Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man" (1964) and will
 get some clues about how to recognize media-environmental patterns and
then read  "The Laws of Media: The New Science" (1988) and you will get a
methodology for  understanding how media operates in our lives.

Read Wiener's "The Human Use of Human Beings" (1950) and you get some clues
 about the dangers of "simulation" and "God and Golem, Inc." (1964) and you
will  get a fuller view about what happens when we try to "make a better
world." by  engineering new-and-improved humans.

Plus, when it appears later this year, I suspect that you will be surprised
 at what you learn about "human engineering" when you read Fred Turner's
new "The  Democratic Surround."

None of this is available in Deleuze, who can't even get Leibniz straight
(about whom I'd recommend the recent Antognazza biography, as the best place
to  learn what he was really up to) . . . !! <g>

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY

In a message dated 6/4/2013 5:01:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,