Newmedia on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 10:04:39 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> In an Internetworked World No One Is "Foreign"

Eugen:

> It was from the RAND study that the false rumor started, claiming
> that the ARPANET was somehow related to building a network resistant
> to nuclear war. This was never true of the ARPANET . . .

Correct!  However, based on my recent conversations with Bob Taylor,  you
are leaving out the most important part of the story!

The reason that was uppermost in his mind for the ARPANET proposal (and for
 its subsequent approval) wasn't access to "supercomputers" but rather to
*interconnect* those far-flung researchers.

This came about because the routine practice of getting everyone together
for "brainstorming" in the 1940s/50s had atrophied as they scattered and got
 their own labs.

Restaging an updated version of the Macy Foundation sponsored "Cybernetics
Group," which met from 1946-53 and involved, Norbert Wiener, Gregory
Bateson,  Warren McCulloch, Julian Bigelow, Lawrence Frank, Heinrich Kluver, Paul
Lazarsfeld, Kurt Lewin, Warren McCulloch, Margaret Mead, John von Neumann,
Walter Pitts et al was among those cited as a crucial ARPANET goal.

Thus the early emphasis on email and eventually usegroups and so on . . .

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY