Rob Myers on Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:07:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Phil Agre: Supporting the Intellectual Life of a Democratic Soc...

On 20/09/13 10:20 AM, Newmedia@aol.com wrote:

> Television has *satellites* that BEAM the same "propaganda" to
> everyone. The Internet does not.
>
> As a result, MEMES don't work any more!  (Sorry, Kalle, you can't
> "advertise" your way to a revolution anymore.)

If we accept meme theory then memes predate mass media. Neil
Stephenson had fun with this idea, Susan Blackmore made some more or
less testable predictions based on it.

Indeed mass media is a meme

The advertising imperative in monetizing social media does tend to the
condition of broadcast. Although as William Gibson says reliance on
broadcasting is now the very definition of a technologically backward
society.

I do like (or possibly remember) the idea of a Madison
Avenue advertising company being tasked with fomenting a
revolution. They couldn't come up with anything worse than actual
(counter-)revolutionaries.