Keith Hart on Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:09:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The secret financial market only robots can see

Dave, I am with you and Brian on this one, so I hope this doesn't come
across as merely scholastic. It is not about same vs different, but about
difference-in-sameness or the other way round.

There was a rather sterile episode in economic anthropology along these
lines known as the formalist-substantivist debate. But it's ancestor was
the Methodenstreit (battle over methods) in late the 19th century
German-speaking world. The issue was whether the ancient Greek economy was
the same as or different from contemporary German capitalism (Schmoller in
Berlin vs Menger in Vienna). Max Weber entered the fray saying "We wouldn't
be interested in the Greeks unless they were different and we couldn't
understand them unless they were in some sense the same".

I share your irritation with the same-old people, but we have to place our
times in history and that means dialectic.

Keith

--
Prof. Keith Hart
www.thememorybank.co.uk