Nick on Mon, 10 Mar 2014 03:15:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Post-digital

Quoth Felix Stalder:

> Enzensberger's text was just a joke, and the FAZ printed
> it because it would stir controversy, not because it had much to offer
> intellectually.

Was it really just a joke? I'm not so sure dismissing it as that is
appropriate. Sure it necessarily isn't a deep critique of the power
dynamics at play with some of the newer technologies people are
using now, but it wasn't designed as that, and I for one find the
provocations basically reasonable.

Florian's essay was great companion reading, and Geert is certainly
right to call it out as containing elements of 'offline
romanticism', but I don't see anything particularly off with the
essay, and there are certainly things about rejection of
technological 'necessities' like phones that it's quite reasonable
to be romantic about.

Nick