nettime's_eternal_carriage_return on Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:43:57 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> rules for the pre-digital world [digest x3: medosch, mp, ippolito]

Re: Hans Magnus Enzensberger: Rules for the digital world

     Armin Medosch <armin@easynet.co.uk>
     mp <mp@aktivix.org>
     Jon Ippolito <jippolito@maine.edu>

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:17:32 +0000
Subject: Re: <nettime> Hans Magnus Enzensberger: Rules for the digital world
From: Armin Medosch <armin@easynet.co.uk>

try Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels for a start

best
Armin

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM, mp <mp@aktivix.org> wrote:

> On 11/03/14 13:27, Armin Medosch wrote:
> > Hi MP,
> >
> > it is not so difficult. There's capital, and its not homogenous.
> > There are capitals of a different era and of a different kind - such
> > as industrial, agro-business, and financial capital. There are
> > different modes of production and social relations that go with it.
> > It is not about 'for' or 'against' or naive versions of 'good' and
> > 'bad' but if we want to understand the world we live in - and to
> > preempt any questions, I think to some degree this is possible -
> > then we need to engage with such concepts that great social
> > scientists have developed
>
> I don't get it. Sounds strangely abstract/academic to me, or maybe I am
> just stupid.
 <...>

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 18:56:57 +0100
From: mp <mp@aktivix.org>

On 11/03/14 17:17, Armin Medosch wrote:

> try Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels for a start

I feared that. I tried them. I tried listening to their followers -
although I don't appreciate followship, I still listened - and then I
had to run for the bog.

But I hear that serious capitalists read them, apparently they produced
some sort of manual for the advance of capital interests. On the other
hand, I also noted that literacy in their stuff has been very useful for
the advancement of elitist careers in the knowledge industry. So all in
all, not really my cup of tea.

But thanks for the tip.