Hans de Zwart on Mon, 12 May 2014 19:52:07 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites

Hey Geert,

The tension between the Bay area elites is less interesting than the
grassroots unrest from the 'data-havenots' who are slowly starting to
feel uncomfortable with the level of governance/jurisdiction that Google
is having in their lives:
https://kevinroseisaterribleperson.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/home-demo-at-google-vcs-house-on-potrero-hill-sf/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/20/5231758/protesters-target-silicon-valley-shuttles-smash-google-bus-window

We are seeing the very early signs of what I am sure will soon be a much
more widespread discomfort with Google's practices. Cory is just more
attuned than most to these weak signals (and so are you probably,
hence your question).

I've spoken about some of these issues at the recent "Security in Times
of Surveillance" conference in Eindhoven. Video of my talk is here:
http://www.win.tue.nl/eipsi/surveillance/zwart.mp4

Just look at the graph displaying Google's DC lobbying investment and
you will instantly realise that Google is not the same Google that it
was a decade ago.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-google-is-transforming-power-and-politicsgoogle-once-disdainful-of-lobbying-now-a-master-of-washington-influence/2014/04/12/51648b92-b4d3-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html

Cheers,

Hans

- --
Hans de Zwart