olivier auber on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 01:20:11 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> To-morrow the Minitel! (!)

My madeleine

Telematic art / French side story

In terms of telematic art, France has had a special destiny. Indeed,
from 1982 thanks to the Minitel, this country had a public telematic
infrastructure more than a decade before the outbreak of the World
Wide Web (1994). Attempts of telematic art of the 70' and 80', which
consisted mainly of point-to-point connections, could therefore take a
different turn in France. As reported by Don Foresta[7] and Gilbertto
Prado,[8] several French artists made some collective art experiments,
using the Minitel, among them: Jean-Claude Anglade,[9] Jean-Marc
Philippe,[10] Fred Forest,[11] Marc Denjean[12] and Olivier Auber.[13]
These experiments, mostly forgotten but some still up and running
(Poietic Generator), foreshadowed applications that were developed
later on the web, especially the "social networks" (Twitter, Facebook,
etc.), at the same time they were offering theoretical critiques.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telematic_art#French_side_story

Olivier Auber

Cc: "nettime-l@kein.org" <nettime-l@kein.org>
> Hello Tjebbe
>
> Am 10.06.2014 um 13:24 schrieb Tjebbe van Tijen:
>
>> you focus on art-projects using telecom... which was not my intend.
>
> In your original Nettime mail you wrote :
>
>> In the years 1988/1989 we were organising in Amsterdam a
>> congregation from radical publishers, performers and groups from all
>> over Europe from Russia to the British isles, from Norway to Spain:
>> Europe Against The Current.
>
> This sounded to me like a description of art or art-related projects. No?
 <...>