Ãrsan Åenalp on Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:22:20 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Turkopticon: helps the people in the 'crowd' of crow

Thanks to Geert Lovink, we are aware of these very interesting
projects. Comrades are developing an online platform and
digita tools that are helping Amazon Maniacal-Turk's digitally enlaved
workers to get strength.

This is first one, the Turkopticon:
http://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/

Turkopticon helps the people in the 'crowd' of crowdsourcing watch out
for each otherâbecause nobody else seems to be.

Almost half of the Mechanical Turk workers who wrote their Bill of
Rights demanded protection from employers who take their work without
paying.Turkopticon lets you REPORT and AVOID shady employers.

snoogiebug from turkernation says, "if you do not have this please get
it!!!! it does work and is worth it !!"

Turkopticon Firefox
Turkopticon Chrome

How Turkopticon works:

Turkopticon adds functionality to Amazon Mechanical Turk as you browse
for HITs and review status of work you've done. As you browse HITs,
Turkopticon places a button next to each requester and highlights
requesters for whom there are reviews from other workers. Bad reviews
let you avoid shady employers and good reviews help you find fair
ones. You can view reports made against requesters with a quick click.

As you review HITs you've completed, are there HITs you weren't fairly
paid for? Turkopticon adds a button that lets you review requesters
from your "Status Detail" page.

Other Turking resources:

Turker Nation
MTurk Forum
CloudMeBaby Forum
mTurk Grind forum
mTurk List
MTurk wiki on the MTurk subreddit
Hide requesters script: for Greasemonkey; for Google Chrome
List of useful Turking scripts and add-ons from the
HITsWorthTurkingFor subreddit
Turking tips from the MTurk subreddit

Notes for requesters:

"Low cost, high quality" is a myth; you must pay for quality

And this is the related Dynamo project
DYNAMO, http://www.wearedynamo.org/ which ressonates a lot with the
ideas we have been developing with SaysUs.

Both Frank Kashner of Says-Us and friends from Dynamo will be in New
York, as I understood, at the Digital Labour: SWEATSHOPS, PICKET
LINES, AND BARRICADES event (http://digitallabor.org/). I hope these
two
projects will find a way to build a synergic collaboration.

Orsan