David Mandl on Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:51:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Evgeny Morozov and the Perils of "Highbrow Journalism"

It seems clear that the New Yorker is no longer home of the best fact-checking/copyediting humankind can achieve.

When they started a blog as a separate entity from the magazine I heard writer and editor friends complain about errors all the time. It had very different (i.e., lower) standards than the official magazine. But recently it seems they've been letting things slip at the magazine itself. I gloated to a few friends about finding a fairly blatant music error a couple of years back (the equivalent of disproving the Theory of Relativity, I thought), and they said, "So what? I recently found a couple of mistakes too." I sent the magazine a message about the mistake I found and they either never read it or didn't care, because the article was never corrected.*

Things are bad all over, as the old saying goes.

   --Dave.

* The mistake was in naming the band who recorded the song "Teach Your Children," cited in their big Grateful Dead article because Jerry Garcia played on it. I'll leave this as an exercise for the reader.

On Oct 17, 2014, at 5:47 PM, John Young <jya@pipeline.com> wrote:

> The New Yorker's dandy Eustace Tilley embodied highbrow journalism.
 <...>

--
Dave Mandl
dmandl@panix.com