t byfield on Fri, 6 Feb 2015 00:10:22 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Greek elections?

Flick, the SchÃuble-Varoufakis press conference today was very interesting, so you might want to watch it:

	http://youtu.be/hlbJHSsnOBs

-- the action starts after 7:30 or so. At around 30:00, Varoufakis addresses some of what you talk about -- and, given the anodyne setting, he's shockingly blunt. But, more than that, his remarks offer a wide range of historical perspectives on the situation. That itself is a strategy for diminishing the pseudo-sanctity of the bailout terms, and reminding Germans (not 'Germany') and other Europeans that the entire framework is fluid, rather than mechanically or inevitably defined.

I worry about Syriza. If they succeed on their own terms, it will completely reframe how the entire world thinks about debt. It's very hard to imagine how they'll be allowed to succeed, and it's very easy to imagine how they could be pushed to fail. But none of us have much experience with people like this -- who aren't so far away from us -- assuming power on a national scale, do we? So that much has changed. It's worth considering whether your reaction -- which doesn't seem to have much that's fresh about it -- might change as well.

Cheers,