Michael H. Goldhaber on Wed, 8 Apr 2015 14:12:10 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> nottime: the end of nettime

Thanks Ted and Felix for revealing that you weren't completely serious,
as well as for your incredible energy in editing all through the years,
bringing many lively thoughts and fascinating conversations to us in
what has seemed like "real time."

I note that when I began to subscribe, at Bruce S's suggestion, back in
the 90's, Deleuze and Guattari's thought seemed the polestar by which
all else was reckoned. It has utterly disappeared, without replacement,
as far as I'm aware. My guess is this is not  peculiar to nettime, and
may not be a bad trend at all, but it is in some ways a sobering fact
that obeisance to some kind of possibly vague but "higher" thought is
understood as no  more needed or helpful. To be sure much of that was a
kind of academic posturing at one time likely to help in certain
careers, but no longer. Still one misses the poetry of it, a bit, along
with the sense in retrospect  that the world was then young and full of
mystery, or at least of "miasmal mists."

Does someone else  or perhaps you, Felix and Ted,  have a clearer sense
of why none of us see fit anymore to enclose our writings in that kind
of gift wrapping?

Best,
Michael

> On Apr 7, 2015, at 6:44 PM, dan@geer.org wrote:
>
> Dear Moderators, Thank you for your thankless work.
 <...>