Brian Holmes on Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:34:40 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Go Baltimore

Hey, I heard something in the USA! People are, like, talkin' in
Baltimore! They're makin' smoke signals and everything! They're
signifying! Go Baltimore!

We live here in a country of great democratic ideals, murderous class
violence, and until about a year ago, effective repression of any
serious public speech. America needs an operation on its collective
larynx. We're crippled, my friends. We gotta learn to talk again.

Go Baltimore!

???Too many people have spent generations building up this city for it to
be destroyed by thugs,??? said the mayor (or maybe just a zombie with an
honorific?). Hmm, what about the sadistic power-crazed thugs that kill
people when it pleases them?

As I recall, the finest hour of the American collectivity was the civil
rights movement back in the '60s. As I recall, we got a president today
who was elected in honor of that movement. As I recall, the finest hour
of the American collectivity involved huge riots, cities in flames,
national guard on the streets. As I recall, everyone in America is duty
bound by law to recall how fine was that hour. As I recall, some
bastards who behave exactly like the military on foreign soil just broke
an innocent man's neck because they didn't like the way he looked. As I
recall, that does not exactly fit with our finest ideals.

Who knows where this thing is gonna go? Please remember that the
rebellions of Detroit and Newark in '67, and just about everywhere in
'68, were followed by the most extreme right-wing repression we have
ever known in this country. And that was the foundation of neoliberalism
around the world. Historical fact if you care to know anything about it.

Everybody, everybody, we all better learn to talk right now. This is
serious shit. What's happening in Baltimore is not an excuse for more
control. What's happening in Baltimore, what's happening in Ferguson,
what's happening in New York, what's happening in Oakland, what's
happening in Chicago is the test of a democratic society that has been
tested and found wanting. You want to survive these next decades with
some kind of dignity? Say it:

WHAT WE NEED IS NOT MORE POLICE REPRESSION. WHAT WE NEED IS JUSTICE.

You can talk, it'll heal, you'll be a human being again some day, just
try it out:

Go Baltimore!