John Hopkins on Wed, 29 Apr 2015 17:59:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> To Save the Worldâ Preface by B

A few comments on Bernard Stiegler's intro...

On 27/Apr/15 07:08, ??rsan ??enalp wrote:
>4. Only knowledge has the capacity to produce new negentropic
>potential, and only social organisations based on systemic enhancement
>and culture made possible through reticular parity will enable a move
>beyond the anthropocene, to ???save the world???, and enter into what
>would therefore be called the ???neganthropocene???.

Hmmm, intriguing as this is, I don't think I can agree -- knowledge may be
seen as new (or novel) configurations of neural pathways (as embodied
knowledge) or as ordered data (information) that has been ordered as a
configuration of energized matter. Both these forms of knowledge require
energy to create and sustain. They are therefore energy drains on the wider
techno-social system and the eco-system. Of course, knowledge and
information does function as an optimizing paradigm for making the best use
of available resources -- supporting functions like the propagation of the
species and the satisfaction of basic needs *and* the hegemonic control of
one segment of society over an other.

Prior to 'reticular parity' (does anyone know exactly what is being talked
about here? My approximate guess is 'network equality' which is *only* a
theoretical system state in a universe that is organized around the
anisotropic distribution of energized matter!) -- with this, already, we are
moving into the theoretical, not the actual! "Saving the world" is *not*
going to happen without a substantial (precipitous) drop in the human
population. Nothing short of this will alter the over-riding trajectory of
what is happening in the present moment. One sure way of decreasing the
population is to subtract large quantities of available energy from the
techno-social equation -- this will have an immediate knock-on effect of
severly compromised life-expectancy for large numbers of people.

Semantically, a 'negentropic potential' can be understood to be a
(potential) energy source. Nothing but a *real* energy source has
(literally!) the power to counter entropic decline. Knowledge as an
abstraction of such cannot in itself precipitate a negentropic 'situation'
-- knowledge has to be combined with actualization (which means energy
consumption).

It is not known what mechanism precipitates a spontaneous negentropic
'situation' in an open system (the most fundamental example being the'rise'
of Life from ???). But any such situation requires an energy input from the
environs of that situation... A negentropic situation is one where energy is
being consumed at a faster rate than is the case in simple entropic
decline...

jh

Dr. John Hopkins, BSc, MFA, PhD
grounded on a granite batholith