Lori Emerson on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:56:32 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Lori Emerson: What's Wrong With the Internet and How

   Hi all, I'm glad to see the interview is being circulated, especially
   as I still worry it's too technical for most readers. And certainly,
   the design of TCP/IP was very political - Andrew Russell talks about
   the historical details in his book Open Standards. I've been working on
   an article called "The Net Has Never Been Neutral" where I try to delve
   into the larger political implications of its design - happy to share
   this with anyone b/c. But, as Day points out in the interview, the fact
   that certain decisions were made about the layers explicitly so the
   design would not resemble what the French were doing with CYCLADES is
   one example of politics at play. I'd also say that there's politics
   involved even when there's no explicit or conscious political intent.Â
   yrs, Lori