none on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:15:54 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Gentrification of Hacking: How yuppies hacked the

Thanks for sharing!

There's a sometime interesting discussion re essay in:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10033969
By the very yuppies of tech that seem to be mentioned..

Noticed that in terms of language, where as in the essay the
pre-gentrified's signifier is itself as a sign - eg the somali foodie as
well as the coffee lover dropout - the ycombinator based reactions tend to
use representationalism. ie it seems to me that the signifier point is
About something other than itself. Hence being a hacker/entrepuner/etc. is
talked of as being About other elements than what it is. ie the
entrepreneur's gentrified hacker is indeed to represent palatable ideas
and beliefs. They might as well called themselves "tech-punks", "geeks",
"nerds", "angel surfers", "algo-explorers", or indeed "toilette
cleaners"..

cheers and much fun!
aha0
xx

On Mon, August 10, 2015 2:55 pm, Brett Scott wrote:

> Dear Nettimers,
>
> My new essay in Aeon Magazine on 'The Gentrification of Hacking: How
> yuppies hacked the hacker ethos' can be found here
>
> [1]http://aeon.co/magazine/technology/how-yuppies-hacked-the-original-hacker-ethos/.
 <...>