patrice on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:19:58 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Fwd: the European manifesto of Varoufakis and Piketty

I am still in Greece (Athenes) where I was with Lorenzo at a very
interesting and enjoyable INURA conference and retreat [1]. Yet, in the
circles I am with, Yanis Varoufakis 'enjoys' more than mixed feelings:
forceful rejection, which is due to the dramatic misfiring of his
'flamboyant' negotiation strategy (though I did appreciate it allright).

But of course there is much disaray about the baffling, difficult to
explain (if at all), volte-face of Alexis Tsipras and his governement.
The gamble of a snap election is now likely to backfire even badly as
the snap referendum (remember, next to everybody, esp with Syriza, was
expecting a very tight win for either option, not a landslide for
'Oxi'). It would now appear that Vangelis Meimarakis, Nea Demokratia's
('center right') 'accidental' leader, is poised to win the September 20
elections.

A day, not a week, is a long time in Greek politics ...

So, are we back to square one? I am afraid it's much worse: endgame for
Greece, economically and politically speaking (is there anything else?),
and endgame for the European Union as we know it. In this view,
Melanchon's, Varoufakis' cs. bid for a pan-European movement is merely
an 'escape velocity' show - and I am sorry to add: Melanchon is a
buffoon.

A friend of mine has as sig "progress means that bad things happen
faster". Nowadays in Europe, we're surely making 'very good progress'

Cheers all the same, p+2D!

[1]  https://inura15.wordpress.com/
      http://www.inura.org/v2/

On 2015-09-12 21:07, Lorenzo Tripodi wrote:

> Sorry, I wanted to reply but I???ve got distracted by the kid and
> somehow an empty mail was sent by my computer:-)
>
> Anyway :
 <...>