Jaromil on Sun, 27 Sep 2015 19:55:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> VW

oh c'mon guys!

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Florian Cramer wrote:

>      I'd be curious to hear from people who have a more proximate
>      sense of how this is playing out in Germany, and how the
>      government seems like it'll respond.
>
>    The implication for "our" field are much more immediate than one
>    would expect, given that the Centre of Digital Cultures of Leuphana
>    University L??neburg has been funded from a grant by Volkswagen

to debate this thing as if it would be just about Volkswagen is so
naive! srsly. There is nothing to be learned there.

This is the way the industry always works when closed-source. This event
should remind everyone (and especially consumer associations) how
important is to have the industry release its software open-source, down
to the firmware and hardware. This must be an imperative especially for
life-support critical software - think of airco and metro ventilation
systems as they'll get more complex...

See what someone found out already in 2013 about Android's OEMs cheating
on benchmarks with their firmware
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks

My question is: do you really think that any private industry is
actually being honest, when it doesn't have to, when there is no way to
tell?

ciao

--
Denis Roio aka Jaromil   http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  CTO and co-founder      free/open source developer