Susanne Gerber on Sun, 11 Oct 2015 05:42:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ttip: digital respect and resistance

Dear Kristoffer, dear all,
i went to the demonstration against TTIP and CETA today together with 250 000 other people from everywhere in Germany. That was quite an impressive statement organized by 38 Political Parties, Unions and NGOs. As far as i heard, already 3 000 000 persons signed protest letters against TTIP. What we see is a numerous and politically wide spread movement articulating its further willingness to stop TTIP and CETA. It seems not to be too late for a coalition of the digital culture. But where is the digital culture? Where are the digital activists with capacities for coalition? Tele-presence doesn't just mean sitting behind the computer. It might mean beeing German, having a teaching job in Shanghai and a flat in NYC. Tele-present people might be American citizens and have also an EU passport.They call Berlin home, but San Diego in California as well. They are delocated like data in a cloud. They already are inhabitants of that global organized world and market TTIP is going to shape. There is a huge resistance now, but will not anyone be tele-present sooner or later? So what are the demands digital culture can rise in the fight against a global regulation of the regulation? And if digital culture will find a position from where to speak and articulate a political program, how will that be related to the other TTIP opponents like for instant the resistance against gen-manipulation? Is it not possible, that digital culture, or at least parts of it, in the meantime has switched sides and belongs already more to the TTIP creators? Then we have to rethink the whole context and 'Berührungsangst' would mean something else.

Susanne Gerber
artist and writer
Berlin