Nick on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:39:40 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Jody Ribtot: The Hostile Email Landscape

Quoth nettime's_landscaper:

> If you were to launch a new mail server right now, many networks would
> simply refuse to speak to you. The problem: reputation.

It is a sad state of affairs indeed. Bradley Kuhn recently wrote
about very similar issues he had running his own mail server:
http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2015/09/15/email.html

It sucks in particular because email is already in a more precarious
state than it should be with people relying more on surveillance-as-
a-business services for communication (admittedly gmail is also in
that category, but at least it's a distributed system enough that
one doesn't have to accept its terms to communicate with people who
use it.) I am finding that the proportion of my friends I can write
to electronically is gradually diminishing as a result. I find it
sad.

Maybe some new service that is actually engineered to respect people
(there are several reasonable looking candidates) will get popular
enough that it will take the place email had. Maybe.