Jaromil on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 15:27:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> what if we were all right but all wrong?

dear Morlock,

as usual your cynical slap feels fascinating and somehow invigorating

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, morlockelloi@yahoo.com wrote:

> The understanding and manipulation of masses has become a
> technology-based activity. Like transportation or food production.
>
> Reflexes and intuition in activism from the last few centuries
> are becoming irrelevant in this regard - this is what 'activists'
> generally refuse to understand, despite repeated and consistent
> failures.

but then Alex has already and somehow answered when he writes:

"It's better to be more than half right and win, than to be totally
right and lose"

Which makes me think of... president Obama, eheh! And I like Obama
very much! :^D

Alex' text is pointing to the very tactical understanding of
ideologies that you are mentioning and a process of appropriation for
a new sort of... service.

Sure, technology-based mass manipulation services. Does that rings a
bell? Beyond seeing just the opportunity for 'manipulation' in there,
a lot of what is going on into the participatory democracy scene, a
lot of the prismatic transformation of old party duopolies, can fit
into this vision. That's what your provocation makes me imagine... we
may call it Politics as a Service perhaps, or PaaS if it's not already
taken. Ideology as a Service may also fit, IaaS. So funny that it
sounds almost like 'jacket' in Dutch, jaas.

I'm giggling too much to be able to continue now. Yet I feel that
between these silly visions and the future of grass-root political
instances Alex mentions lies enormous potential.

I'll just finish by joining the mini-poll: Tsipras or Varoufakis? T or
V?

my vote: V (and I'm still wearing my black leather jacket...)

ciao