Sivasubramanian M on Sat, 14 Nov 2015 06:36:31 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> How computers broke science...

     several groups have proposed similar solutions to this
     problem. Together they would break scientific data out of the black
     box of unrecorded computer manipulations so independent readers can
     again critically assess and reproduce results. Researchers, the public,
     and science itself would benefit.

   In this description of the need for reproduce or retrace the path of a
   scientific experiment, as one of the solutions, the argument that a
   blackbox style recording every command given to the computer is
   described. Finding a way to the steps to a scientific discovery is a
   lofty cause, but the technology suggested could be abused.  The
   suggested technology is on the path of legitimizing the methods of
   malicious software that records every key stroke or mouse click to
   replay on screen frame by frame view of everything that a computer user
   has done on his personal or private computer. I am concerned about this
   blackbox approach, at the moment talked about as a method of recording
   scientific experiments.

   Thank youÂ

   Sivasubramanian M
   âInternet Society India Chennaiâ