cheek, cris on Thu, 14 Jan 2016 16:30:51 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> aaaaarg lawsuit digest

   HI Doug,

   i think you'd find that the site does not lose authors money. It
   promotes intellectual work and is mostly used by researchers and
   teachers who in turn get students and other people interested in buying
   books.

   The amount of royalty you might get for one book on this site is
   negligible and frankly almost nobody on that site is going to make a
   beeline for a book about Hilary Clinton. They're far more interested in
   pursuing subjects such as decolonization and whilst Clinton would be a
   ripe candidate for Decolonization Studies people are only going to look
   at your book if it's free. They will avoid it altogether otherwise. SO
   if you want it to matter, make it free

   looking forwards,
   cris

   On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Doug Henwood <[1]dhenwood@panix.com> wrote:

     > On Jan 12, 2016, at 9:41 AM, [2]sebastian@rolux.org wrote:
     >
     > You're probably worrying too much about the
     > big corporations that actually own IP, and almost certainly not
     > enough about the small authors that hallucinate IP.

     I've got a new little book about Hillary Clinton and it's already up on
     aaaaarg, or however many fucking a's it requires. I'm a writer and I
     hope to get paid for my work. It's how I pay my bills. "Small authors"
     aren't exactly thriving and this isn't helping. So fuck this piratic
     sense of entitlement.

     Doug Henwood

     author of My Turn: Hillary Clinton Targets the Presidency
     [3]http://www.orbooks.com/catalog/my-turn-by-doug-henwood/
 <...>