jan hendrik brueggemeier on Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:54:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> notes from the DIEM25 launch

Hi everyone -

As I wasn't present and have been only following the DIEM25 launch
through bits and pieces online (and from down under).

However, on the not of transparency, I came across one correspondence
between German Eu politician Sven Giegold (The Greens) and Janis
Varoufakis
(http://www.sven-giegold.de/2016/letter-to-janis-varoufakis/). Besides
the wherever one sits in regards to the different strategies argued by
both, one thing does seems to a bit odd to me.

When asked by Gielgold (who had read the different versions of the
manifesto) about "the many changes in the different version of the DiEM
manifesto (5.0, 6.0, 7.0, final) and who decided which changes were
accepted and why" - to respond like following:

"But the Manifesto, like a poem, cannot be written by everyone at once,
including those who oppose its underlying principles. (The fact that you
have seen a variety of its drafts proves that the process has been
remarkably open and transparent.)"

I don't how you feel about this, but to me this seems to be a bit fishy
response - however stressed and time poor Varoufakis may be.

My 2 cent,
Jan

On 17/02/16 7:09 AM, Alexander Karschnia wrote:
>    Dear Armin,
>
>    I am afraid that the picture you got from the DiEM meeting was
>    incomplete: the second of the three sessions during the day-time
>    meeting of the "working group" was about economy. The DiEM initiative
>    seems inspired by the "modest proposal" that Varoufakis made last year
>    together with Stuart Holland Galbraith and James K. Galbraith: the
>    bottom-line is that the existing institutions and contracts do not have
>    to be changed, but just used in a different way. This
>    bottom-line-sentence was repeated by Varoufakis during the evening. In
>    that respect, the proposed change is not radical, but very pragmatic,
>    reformist: a kind of PERESTROIKA of the EU. Combined with GLASNOST:
>    radical about DiEM is the unconditional demand for transparency. Thus
>    more important than his "modest proposal" was Varoufakis role as
>    "megaphone of the whistle-blowers" since his legendary interview about
>    the eurogroup. It is no coincidence that the most pathos that this day
>    generated culminated in the repeated demand: "Asylum for Edward
>    Snowden! Free Julian Assange and Chelsea Manning!"
 <...>