Geert Lovink on Sun, 28 Feb 2016 23:54:26 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Return of the F-scale

This is so true, so goddamned true, Brian.

It comes with the question how critical approaches, these days, link to the world of empirical data. Do we need our own ‘big data’ projects in this respect? Is there enough theory? What would we do with the empirical evidence today?

Gathering data, and analyzing them is one, but what would be our diagnosis? Apart from immediate political action, would that also include therapy for the masses, as was suggested by many, from Reich to Lloyd de Maus and Theweleit? Is sexual repression also the main frame in this era? What is a non-fascist life these days? I am referring here to the debates from the late 1970s (?) that distinguished between anti-fascist action and non-fascist strategies aka life styles (Foucault had some valuable contributions here).

Best, Geert

> On 27 Feb 2016, at 4:50 pm, Brian Holmes <bhcontinentaldrift@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We've come full circle. Forget the Californian Ideology, forget the
> Flexible Personality.  At issue today is exactly the thing that Adorno
> and his colleages studied in their sociological attempt to understand
> Fascism. What's happening in the US right now, and undoubtedly across
> Europe, is fear, disorientation and authoritarianism. BH
 <...>