nettime's not-so-privileged contact on Wed, 6 Jul 2016 22:11:52 +0200 (CEST)

Chelsea Manning’s Legal Team Responds to Unconfirmed Rumors About Her Hospitalization

Chelsea Manning’s Legal Team Responds to Unconfirmed Rumors About Her
Hospitalization

Posted 14:06 EDT on July 6, 2016

For Immediate Release: July 6, 2016
Contact: Christina DiPasquale, 202.716.1953, Christina@balestramedia.com

https://www.fightforthefuture.org/news/2016-07-06-chelsea-mannings-legal-team-responds-to/

Today, an unnamed official at the Army revealed unverified information
relating to Chelsea Manning’s confidential medical status to the media
and Nancy Hollander, lead attorney on her defense team, released the
following statement:

“We’re shocked and outraged that an official at Leavenworth contacted
the press with private confidential medical information about Chelsea
Manning yet no one at the Army has given a shred of information to her
legal team.

“I had a privileged call scheduled with Chelsea at 2pm Leavenworth time
yesterday, after the Army has now said she was hospitalized, but the
Army gave the excuse—which I now believe to be an outright lie—that the
call could not be connected although my team was waiting by the phone.

“Despite the fact that they have reached out to the media, and that any
other prison will connect an emergency call, the Army has told her
lawyers that the earliest time that they will accommodate a call between
her lawyers and Chelsea is Friday morning. We call on the Army to
immediately connect Chelsea Manning to her lawyers and friends who care
deeply about her well-being and are profoundly distressed by the
complete lack of official communication about Chelsea’s current situation.”

###

Fight for the Future is a digital rights group that has been supporting
Chelsea Manning while in prison. This press release was posted with the
approval of her attorneys.