Radi Pira on Sat, 9 Jul 2016 20:52:43 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> What were the first instances of hacking 4

There's an example from the piracy scene that I think predates the
Chanology leaks: the Media Defender email dump from September 15 2007 by
the group MDD (MediaDefender-Defenders).

The original leak:
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3806944/MediaDefender.Mail.200612.200709-MDD

News coverage:
https://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-emails-leaked-070915/

>From the leak:

"MediaDefender-Defenders proudly presents 9 months worth of
internal MediaDefender emails

"By releasing these emails we hope to secure the privacy and
personal integrity of all peer-to-peer users. The emails
contains information about the various tactics and technical
solutions for tracking p2p users, and disrupt p2p services.

"A special thanks to Jay Maris, for circumventing there entire
email-security by forwarding all your emails to your gmail
account, and using the really highly secure password: blahbob

"So here it is, we hope this is enough to create a viable
defense to the tactics used by these companies, also there
should be enough fuel to keep the p2p bloggers busy for
quite some time."

On Wed, July 6, 2016 1:01 pm, Gabriella \"Biella\" Coleman wrote:
>    Hi all,
>
> I am writing a piece that is trying to historicize direct action
> hacking/whistel blowing and am trying to pin point any early examples of
> hackers hacking in order to access and then leak the information/emails
> to ex pose wrong doing..
 <...>