Radi Pira on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:12:57 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> A Picture is Worth...

Michael Gurstein wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world/europe/malaysia-airlines-flight-17-russia.html

According to the actual report:
http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/archive/1201635/mh17-anniversary/ ...

"We analyzed these slides using Tungstène, a suite of forensic software
tools to detect alterations to images."

Let's rephrase: 'We fed these photos into a $20000 black box ($10000 for
the software, and $10000 for the training to use it, reportedly) and then
came to the conclusion that the images "include changes to the underlying
satellite images themselves". How, exactly, our expensive blob came to
these conclusions we can't definitely say because it appears to be closed
source, but we will trust it without any apparent signs of hesitation.'

"The stakes in this case are extraordinarily important"

Indeed.

Nota Bene: $40000 analysis may reveal that this email has been altered.