KMV on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 10:35:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

I agree with Alice and Angela on this as well. Mainstream reporting
over here has focused on economic dissatisfaction in the rust belt,
and rural voters feeling left out, but it's worth noting that people
of color in the rust belt still voted overwhelmingly against Trump,
though their economic situations are likely even worse.

We also have no numbers on how the roll back of voting right
protections affected the election. This year, numerous states passed
laws that cut back on voting hours, reduced the number of polling
places, demanded particular kinds of ID, etc. In North Carolina, the
new law was overturned because it was found to deliberately target
people of color. In other states, like Ohio, court challenges failed
or weren't finished in time.

Further, the ugly sentiments expressed in the Trump campaign have
been voiced for years now in the Gamergate movement, among the "Sad
Puppies," and across many alt-right web sites. Young white men
especially have been radicalized through these sites and movements,
and now one of there ring-leaders, Stephen Bannon of Brietbart News,
has been appointed as Trump's chief strategist.

Finally, if this was really all or evn mostly about economics, why is
there now such an upsurge in hate crimes against muslims, women, and
especially people of color, even in affluent urban areas?

We all know that the US doesn't like to talk about class, but it
likes talking about race even less, and so focusing on economic
dissatisfaction allows a more comfortable discussion. It is leftist,
but avoids race and gender aspects, which are even less welcome topics
than class.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Alice Yang <alice.lan.yang@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I absolutely agree with Angela: "a theory of capitalism that is not also
> a theory of racism and gender (and sexuality) is a very poor theory of
> capitalism."
>
> There's a lot of talk in this thread about how white dissatisfaction in
> the Midwest comes from a so called real place.
>
> As a women of color, I know that I have to work twice as hard for just a
> seat at the table (where I will fill a token role and people will talk
> over me). To me, the white dissatisfaction in the Midwest is precisely
> that: dissatisfaction.

<....>