Molly Hankwitz on Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:25:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> BComu Global: America needs a network of rebel cities to stand up to Trump

Hi - the "sanctuary cities" stand to lose funding for supporting
undocumented immigration. These may be your rebel cities...here is
what San Francisco government has stated (this not the final, final
version but very close)

Go, SF!!!!
San Francisco Board of Supervisors’ --

-- Response to the Election of Donald Trump. --

Resolution responding to the election of Donald Trump and reaffirming
San Francisco’s commitment to the values his election threatens.

WHEREAS, On November 8, 2016, American voters elected an erratic,
ill-informed racist and misogynist as President; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That no matter the threats, San Francisco will remain a
Sanctuary City. We will not turn our back on the men and women from
other countries who help make this city great, and who represent
over one third of our population. This is the Golden Gate—we build
bridges, not walls; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That we will never back down on women’s rights,
whether in healthcare, the workplace, or any other area threatened by
a man who treats women as obstacles to be demeaned or objects to be
assaulted. And just as important, we will ensure our young girls grow
up with role models who show them they can be or do anything; and, be
it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That there will be no conversion therapy, no
withdrawal of rights in San Francisco. We began hosting gay weddings
twelve years ago, and we are not stopping now. And to all the LGBTQ
people all over the country who feel scared, bullied, or alone: You
matter. You are seen; you are loved; and San Francisco will never stop
fighting for you; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That we still believe in this nation’s founding
principle of religious freedom. We do not ban people for their faith.
And the only lists we keep are on invitations to come pray together;
and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That Black Lives Matter in San Francisco, even if
they may not in the White House. And guided by President Obama’s
Task Force on 21st Century Policing, we will continue reforming our
police department, and rebuilding trust between police and communities
of color so all citizens feel safe in their neighborhoods; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That climate change is not a hoax, or a plot by the
Chinese. In this city, surrounded by water on three sides, science
matters. And we will continue our work on CleanPower, Zero Waste, and
everything else we are doing to protect future generations; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That we have been providing universal health care in
this city for nearly a decade, and if the new administration follows
through on its callous promise to revoke health insurance from 20
million people, San Franciscans will be protected; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That we are the birthplace of the United Nations,
a city made stronger by the thousands of international visitors we
welcome every day. We will remain committed to internationalism and to
our friends and allies around the world—whether the administration
in Washington is or not; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That San Francisco will remain a Transit First city
and will continue building Muni and BART systems we can all rely
upon, whether this administration follows through on its platform to
eliminate federal transit funding or not; and, be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That California is the sixth largest economy in the
world. The Bay Area is the innovation capital of the country. We will
not be bullied by threats to revoke our federal funding, nor will we
sacrifice our values or members of our community for your dollar; and,
be it

FURTHER RESOLVED, That bigotry may have won an election, but it
cannot change who we are, and it will never change our values. We
argue, we campaign, we debate vigorously within San Francisco, but
on these points we are 100% united. We will fight discrimination and
recklessness in all its forms. We are one City. And we will move
forward together.