Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا on Sat, 3 Dec 2016 13:05:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The Pakistani government released a readout of its call with Trump

   This is much like what The Donald has been telling antagonists and
   rivals of Pakistan on the other side of the South Asian border. Of
   course, this has been going on for long, leading to some of the highest
   military expenditures in these regions when neither of our countries
   can afford it. FN
   [1]http://video.scroll.in/819212/you-are-a-real-man-watch-this-
   awkward-indian-editors-interview-with-donald-trump
   [2]MEDIA MATTERS

'You are a real man': Watch this Indian editor's awkward interview with
Donald Trump

There's also a cameo by 'Mr Trump's India man.'

   Play

   Donald Trump seems to inspire weird reactions and awkwardness just
   about everywhere he goes. Saturday's�[3]rally�for the American
   presidential candidate in New Jersey, organised by the Republican Hindu
   Coalition, lived up to this promise, mixing Prabhu Deva and Anupam Kher
   with dancing light-saber wielding terrorists. And then Trump said, "I
   love Hindu."

   But that wasn't it for Donald Trump's desi outreach. He also gave
   interviews to Indian news organisations, including one to Saurabh
   Shukla, editor-in-chief of Newsmobile, who was reporting on the event
   on behalf of TimesNow.

   Shukla first tried to get Trump to say something about Pakistan �nly
   managing to get a "they need to get along" quote from the otherwise
   pugilistic candidate. He then awkwardly brought up the recent
   allegations about sexual impropriety and even assault against Trump,
   which emerged in the aftermath of leaked audio tapes where the
   candidate discussed sexual assault.

   The journalist certainly brought up the allegations but prefaced his
   question by saying Trump is a "real man." Twice.

   Here's the transcript, where Trump says he thinks things are moving
   along "very nicely" after the allegations:

     Q: Your rivals are trying to spin a lot of theories around you, and
     you are a real man, would you make sure as a real man, would you
     apologise to a lot of women who have gotten outraged by what may
     have happened earlier?

     A: Well, I have discussed that, and I think that's very much, you
     know we are doing very well in the polls. We are leading in many of
     the polls. One just came out where we are two points up. So I think
     that's moving on very well.

     Q: But saying sorry doesn't really...

     A: But I have really talked about that and it was locker room talk.
     Lots of people do it but I have already talked about that and I
     think we are moving along very nicely.

   [vwyjdwhmzs-1476679695.jpg]

   The interview also featured a cameo from Shalabh Kumar, the founding
   chairperson of the Republican Hindu Coalition, whom Shukla described as
   "Trump's India man." (Trump, himself, only said, "well he's certainly a
   supporter.")

   In an interview before the New Jersey rally, Shukla spoke separately
   with Kumar, who also preferred to replace "elephant in the room" with a
   more dog-whistle phrase.

     Q: What do you expect from this rally?�
     A: "It will be the first time you have the candidate for the
     president of the United States, first time in the history of the
     United States, India, Hindu world itself, Hindu civilisation, coming
     to address the concerns, coming to address the Hindu Americans,
     Indian-Americans, three weeks prior to the election. That is a
     history in itself."
     Q:�Why do Indian-Americans vote for Mr Trump?"

     A: The policies. All conservative values. Hindu-Americans,
     conservative Americans have. Free enterprise, fiscal discipline,
     family values, and then really firm foreign policy, all those things
     are in line with Donald Trump, and he could see the camel in the
     room.

     Q: Do you think he is going to very tough on terrorism from
     Pakistan?

     A: That is the camel in the room.

   We welcome your comments at�[4]letters@scroll.in.