carlo von lynX on Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:34:03 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Corruption-Resistant Governance

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 07:35:34AM -0700, John Hopkins wrote:
> There is the old and persistent question of resource location --
> whilst that disappears under the flood of 'finished Walmart shit' --
> it lies behind all material objects. That is a main driver of
> globalism: access to resources (it's 'sold' as access to markets,
> but I think the former is more determinative because with the raw

s/with/without/

> materials, marketable products simply don't come to be...)

Thank you for picking up the original thread again. To me the question
of the resources feels like a correlated but "yet another" issue in
the complex package of global affairs.

The "ecologically" subsidized global shipping puts nations owning
resources in harsher competition among each other than it ought to
be, driving the world market price of resources down even if they are
essential for certain products to ever be created.

And then there is the aspect of war over resources, when even
subsidized globalization isn't providing for the resources at a price
range that some thirsty nations require to pay for their wrong choices
of infrastructure (primarily the US with its automobile-oriented
economy, underdeveloped by decades of subsidized fuel offering)...

But what seems to be the norm these days is that even well- intended
politicians, like I believe the president of Indo- nesia to be, when
under certain pressures, giving in into the cheap sale of resources
with near slavory working conditions and terrible consequences for the
environment.

Corruptibility.. maybe even powers capable of pressuring, mandating
corruption even onto governments that would have wanted to do the
right thing. This reminds me of the epic discussions on better
governance that have been going on in the metagovernment.org mailing
list. And of the work we have been doing in the Italian Pirate Party -
to fence off corruption - at least within the organization.

We took radical structural measures: no traditional board, all
decisions including expenses going through a permanent assembly
using liquid democracy. a council of integrity to guard ourselves
from demagogy. using methods that enhance collective rationality -
stealing a bit from Popper and Habermas, but in a way that actually is
functional.

With that experience moving forward, I see a real possibility for
corruption-resistant governance that actually does what it is supposed
to (which is not identical to what the electorate thinks, unless it
also participates in the process). It may still make new mistakes, but
with the Popperian architecture it is impeded from doing things that
are known not to work (which is frequently something special interest
would want). Now we need the mandate to exercise this method on larger
scale.

Maybe we should write a book first.

--
  E-mail is public! Talk to me in private using encryption:
         http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/LynX/