Saul Albert on Fri, 24 Feb 2017 21:00:27 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Armin Medosch (1962-2017)

I'm feeling very sad today knowing that I won't see Armin again.

I was one of the teenagers who turned up at Cybersalon and then other
gatherings organized by Armin, nervous and excited to be included in what
always felt like a journey through the looking glass: Armin sometimes
playing the Cheshire Cat, sometimes the Hatter, sometimes the Queen of
Hearts, where everything was intensified and the stakes were always raised
by his critical voice.

It was people like Armin and the events and international networks he
helped establish that made London such an exciting place to grow up in.
After intense meet-ups in London or Berlin or Copenhagen, it was often
Armin who would amplify the discussions that might otherwise have burbled
along within the East London Network scene into some kind of public
statement or provocation. Whereas most faculties of the University of
Openess would be content with the internal richness of our peer education
projects, Armin would turn up, take notes, add momentum and involve us all
in some polemical position that everyone would then have to respond to
seriously.

I had feuds with Armin, and all the best cultural networks I've
participated in have needed people like Armin to keep going and keep honest
about what's important to them. Our feuds always crystallized around the
political and psychological issues of participation in networks. I often
feel really grateful when I realize how much my teenage self learned from
Armin (by example and counter-example) whenever I get involved in new
networks where someone has to be critical about the network's activities
while taking responsibility for their own actions.

The last few times I saw Armin I'm glad I got to give him a big hug and
recognize how much calmer and happier he seemed after leaving London - and
he left it a much richer and more culturally tuned-in city than he found
it.

I'll try to cheer myself up today by making an Armin-like ridiculously
strong cup of burned espresso and see if I can find someone to go have an
important argument with in his honor.

Saul.

--
The People Speak | 17-25 Cremer St. London E2 8HD | http://theps.net
+44 (0)2076133001 | +44(0) 7941255210 | saul@thepeoplespeak.org.uk

--001a113ebfa4ac85d105494a939f

[...]
div>I had feuds with Armin, and all the best cultural networks I&#39;ve par=
ticipated in have needed people like Armin to keep going and keep honest ab=
out what&#39;s important to them. Our feuds always crystallized around the =
political and psychological issues of participation in networks. I often fe=
el really grateful when I realize how much my teenage self learned from Arm=
in (by example and counter-example) whenever I get involved in new networks=
 where someone has to be critical about the network&#39;s activities while =
ast few times I saw Armin I&#39;m glad I got to give him a big hug and reco=
gnize how much calmer and happier he seemed after leaving London - and he l=
eft it a much richer and more culturally tuned-in city than he found it.=C2=
g an Armin-like ridiculously strong cup of burned espresso and see if I can=
 find someone to go have an important argument with in his honor.</div><div=
a <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:olia@profolia.org"; target=3D"_bla=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">every day I see old web pages where people talk to people who are<br>
not with us any more. I started to share their believe that you stay<br>
online and can be reached online after your IRL death<br>
so<br>
Thank you, Armin<br>
for everything you did and wrote.<br>
For Telepolis=C2=A0 =C2=A0and Kingdom of Piracy<br>
and for=C2=A0 300DM you gave to me back in 1996, my first fee as a net arti=
st.<br>
yours<br>
olia<br>
#=C2=A0 distributed via &lt;nettime&gt;: no commercial use without permissi=
on<br>
#=C2=A0 &lt;nettime&gt;=C2=A0 is a moderated mailing list for net criticism=
,<br>
#=C2=A0 collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets<br>
#=C2=A0 more info: <a href=3D"http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l=
" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://mx.kein.org/mailman/lis<wbr>t=
info/nettime-l</a><br>
#=C2=A0 archive: <a href=3D"http://www.nettime.org"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://www.nettime.org</a> contact: <a href=3D"mailto:nettime=
@kein.org" target=3D"_blank">nettime@kein.org</a><br>
#=C2=A0 @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject:<br>
=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div>The People Spe=
ak | 17-25 Cremer St. London E2 8HD | <a href=3D"http://theps.net"; target=
55210 | <a href=3D"mailto:saul@thepeoplespeak.org.uk"; target=3D"_blank">sau=

--001a113ebfa4ac85d105494a939f--