christa schneebauer on Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:34:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Hungarian government chasing CEU

After a daytrip to Budapest yesterday and reading all your posts in the
Train in the evening: i went there to see how it feels like After all
the news coverage, and i must say i liked it (as i always did) i was
observing People sitting outside eating delicious food , there were a
lot of nice Events going on (dancing, craftmanship, collective beer
drinking and cycling) sometime in the afternoon i started to feel a
little bit uncomfortable, the whole scenery felt like "Food and Games"
(Brot und Spiele) like the grottenbahn in Linz, like a fair, a faire
tale, and then i asked myself isnt this the Same feeling in Vienna, the
town i live in, without being aware of and without recognizing it ???
this really made me feel incomfortable Greetings from sunny Vienna
Christa

Gesendet mit der GMX Mail App

Am 31.03.17 um 10:31 schrieb Felix Stalder

> Hi Morlock,
>
> the case is pretty straight forward here. Hungary has an increasingly
> totalitarian government. An "illiberal democracy" as Orban calls
> it. They are systematically dismantling the basis for independent
> thinking. First there was purge in cultural institutions, then tight
> control over media and now one of the last bases with a loosely
> internationalist outlook (as academia has always had) is attacked.
>
> This is part of a remaking of the mental framework of society, which
> goes has far as removing statues of dead philosophers, simply because
> they were a) Jewish (aka not patriotic) and b) Marxist (aka not patriotic).
>
> http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/228736/statue-of-gyorgy-lukacs-in-budapest-to-be-removed
>
> The comparison between Soros and the Koch Brothers is a red herring.
> Multi-level bullshit scheme to justify the totalitarian power grab.
>
> In this scheme, there always needs to an outside enemy: first it was the
> Roma, then the EU, then the refugees, now Soros. This logic inexorably
> leads to war. Hungary, at least, has only the means to make live
> miserable for its own people. The US, where similar dynamics are at
> play, has the means to make it miserable for everyone.
 <...>