David Mandl on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:25:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> 'Charging Bull' vs 'Fearless Girl'

"Ludicrous" is right.

- "Fearless Girl" is basically an ad for an index fund created by a
  large Wall St. firm (State Street), one that, if I remember correctly,
is even less diverse than most. Easier to commission a statue than hire
more women.

- The "Charging Bull" statue was a piece of guerrilla art, "installed"
  without permission in the middle of the night. The city was furious
and was about to remove it, but public outcry (and maybe a publicity
campaign by the artist, I don't know) forced them to change their mind,
at which point they embraced it, declared what an important artwork it
was, etc. Now guerrilla artist is hiring high-powered lawyers to protect
his turf.

   --Dave.

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 5:32 AM, Felix Stalder <felix@openflows.com> wrote:
>
> [This is a trivial but highly entertaining story. What makes it
> entertaining is that all actors makes grandiose claims about art,
> politics and whatnot, and all of them are completely ludicrous. Fake
> news doesn't even scratch the surface, it's fake reality! Felix]
>
> 'Charging Bull' sculptor calls for New York to remove 'Fearless Girl' statue
 <...>

--
Dave Mandl
david.mandl@gmail.com