Brian Holmes on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 05:54:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Why I won't support the March for Science

Like any of the disciplines, professions or institutions whereby society
shapes itself, that thing called science is worth struggling over. And
never was there a better chance to do it than now! I agreee with Peter
Lunenfeld, and with David Garcia's remarks on Karl Popper. Those who
support a left/egalitarian position need all the allies they can get,
and the only way to reach out is to identify what you can respect in the
politics of the Other - or even in the epistemology of the Other.

What's happening now is new. Fifty years ago when the Cold War
military-industrial model was at its height, the critique of scientific
universalism was vitally necessary. Far as I can see, many branches of
science have changed significantly since then, and the proof was out on
the streets this weekend. It's not just about defending positions and
budgets - it's also about the realization that with knowledge comes
responsibility. In the US there is a lot of public support for
scientists who demonstrate that realization, because people are aware
that this is the right time, not just to restore the government-science
relation, but to fundamentally alter it in favor of an ecological vision.

For the last six months I have had my head in publicly funded
environmental science, of the kind produced by NASA, NOAA, USGS and last
but not least, EPA. Without any naivete about the role that
technoscience has played in creating the climate crisis, or about the
degree to which the Environmental Protection Agency has been thwarted in
its core missions, still I am impressed with the new generation of
ecologists and earth-systems scientists. Trump's attacks are precisely
targeted on the people who are trying to give democratic society the
organs of perception that we need to understand the characteristics and
directions of accelerated and potentially devastating global change.
This doesn't mean there should be no debate about science in general,
and even more, about particular research programs. There should be a lot
more, and it's finally happening. Prem Chandavarkar rightly says that it
is not enough to know, you also have to act. Political engagement with
the quintessentially instrumental realm of science is the first step
toward a highly significant form of action in the present.

Times change and those who cling to outdated critiques become irrelevant
if not reactionary. One of the most urgent agendas of the present is the
transformation of the scientific ethos and its institutions.

curiously yours, Brian

On 04/24/2017 02:18 PM, Lunenfeld, Peter B. wrote:

> Dear Eric, Florian et al. --
 <...>