Zenaan Harkness on Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:39:49 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Hungary: new NGO law passed

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 08:56:46PM +0200, János Sugár wrote:

> The Hungarian Parliament passed a new law on non-governmental
> organizations today, which is widely thought to attack civil
> society in Hungary and has been criticized by the European
> Commission. The Hungarian Civil Liberties Union (TASZ) said it will
> apply civil disobedience.

Your plug does not mention the rather public (but only for those
following the Hungarian debate) stoush between Orban and
George Soros.

George Soros is widely thought to attack civil society in Hungary and
many other countries around the world via the NGO's in the respective
countries that he financies through his Open Societies Foundation
(may not be exact name sorry).

We in the West are well trained in "shouting down" any action which
"does not match Western values" which we are well indoctrinated in

- "democracy" (for some would say strange values of 'democracy')

- open societies (for those who still believe in "democracy" and the
  endless march of internationalism)

- the ultimate sanctity of NGO's that have no transparency about
  their funding, nor their intentions, and notwithstanding their
  actions which may well be directly opposed to the interests of the
  majority in a given country - e.g. the conservative "we don't want
  unlimited refugees from countries where no real vetting can occur"
  that is just recently begun to be prosecuted by the UN, e.g.:
http://www.barenakedislam.com/2017/06/09/do-it-european-union-threatens-legal-action-against-eastern-european-countries-that-refuse-to-take-in-tens-of-thousands-of-african-muslim-male-invaders-posing-as-refugees/
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/817289/poland-fight-eu-penalty-european-commission-refusing-refugees-migrant-crisis
http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/260392/muslim-madness-merkel-daniel-greenfield

How's the European Unity working for ya anyway?:
http://journal-neo.org/2017/06/04/europe-of-two-speeds-implies-there-s-inferior-members-within-the-union/

We speak rather arrogantly in the West, treating Liberalism as
unassailably good, yet the superficiality of our MSM driven discourse
rarely acknowledges that the desire for a conservative community is
not only a natural and acceptable desire, and widespread across the
world, but does not mean that those who express such desires are
bigots, and most fundamentally, the hypocritical ignoring of the
facts that "global homogeneity" is the opposite of "preserving
diversity", that if you don't stand for something, you fall for
anything.

For too often, a thread, a position, a "certainty" is presented with
no heed whatsoever to genuine and real concerns to the contrary.
Such gets tiresome.