Morlock Elloi on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 23:18:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The alt-right and the death of counterculture

The notion that one must condone the existing 'efforts', or suggest something better, or shut up, as anything else is supporting the 'enemy', is asinine at best.

Desperately clinging to the ideals of the 19/20th century (welfare state, democracy, employment etc., plus some identity politics) is a demonstrably dead end - they got us where we are now. And no, the next time it won't be any better.

The precondition of moving forward is abandoning the dead ideologies, not zombifying them. In this sense it is fully justified to point out how dead these are, without offering anything else. You are not entitled to unchallenged hobbies. Perhaps the absence of the constant chants to the past will enable some new and original thinking, which we do need, badly. I see any of that in the lifestyle movements you enumerate.