charlie derr on Sun, 17 Sep 2017 02:16:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> "Too bad your great ideas will never work."

On 09/16/2017 04:48 AM, Felix Stalder wrote:
<snippage>
> But they are about
> inventing new public institutions to embody a different pattern how to
> relate to the biosphere and to each other.
>
> And technology, which created much of this complexity, can also be used
> to render it legible and thus make it politically addressable, if we use
> it to reinvent and extend democracy.
>
> Of course, the white middle-class perspective will not suffice, but
> rather than seeing new Platonic universals, we need ways of thinking and
> doing that can be translated into different experience, change their
> language, but remain some coherence.
>

> Felix

I've been lurking here for quite a while, but the above expression leads
me to share a book I read recently called _The Patterning Instinct_ by
Jeremy Lent.

The author's URL is at
http://www.jeremylent.com/the-patterning-instinct.html and the book was
striking enough to me that I responded with my own thoughts at
https://medium.com/@cderr/the-web-of-meaning-c3abd902b2a5

I don't see much reason for optimism (either here on nettime or anywhere
else), but when solutions are proposed, it seems to me worth our
consideration.

    best,
        ~c