Morlock Elloi on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 01:52:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Return to feudalism

Central Services get you, sooner or later.

I think that the chasm between the think/talk-space ("private property bad", "things very bad, should be better", "rapture must be coming", "tweet/go to conferences and publish/like", etc.) and the act-space ("stone the Google bus", "leak secrets through redundant publishing", etc.) is getting huge.

Most likely because thinkers squat on the traditions from the past centuries, when human-to-human (H2H) communication had measurable effects, and despite all the talk about precarity that still seems the comfortable position to be in.

We are now in the age where machine-to-human (M2H) communications matter, and actors are left to their own devices. What we see are mostly outliers on both ends of the act-space. The mainstream does not exist. The fault is with think/talkers. But I repeat myself.

Using the concept of property is legitimate and effective action. It exists, is enforced, works, and however biased it may be, or however odious one may think it is (alternative being ... ?), it is far too ingrained into the society to be 100% biased. Rejecting it on moral grounds (in favor of what?) would be like Indians rejecting use of firearms.

Example:

All components are in the mix: data is recognized as property, the hardware on which data lives is legally separated from the data itself, it seems that we are one mass lobbying step away from legislation that equates data generated by users actions with creative works. The property of creative work, in the imperial lands at least, can be transferred only with a written contract stipulating compensation. Click-through agreements won't do.

I'm reminded of De Niro as the terrorist plumber in the movie Brazil