franz schaefer on Tue, 19 Sep 2017 20:00:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Return to feudalism

> As Karl M. analyzed relationships of labor, reproduction and capital in the
> era when there was pervasive need for human labor, we need new analysis for
> the era when no one needs any human labor (5-6% of population needing to
> work is practically "no one").

well actually that certain karl m. tried to analyze that in the
"grundrisse". as far as i have read it he did not come all to far in his
conclusions. mainly that the notion of labor as meassure of value then makes
no longer sense.

yet he hints in an other place what that means:

  "Capitalist production, therefore, develops technology, and
   the combining together of various processes into a social whole, only by
   sapping the original sources of all wealth - the soil and the labourer."

so if labour is no longer a relevant measure of value - as it is no longer
needed, then indeed the only thing that is relevant for the value is the
soil. marx most of the time neglects this as soil, back his days was
abundant. the value of things harvested of nature was mostly determined by
the labour it took to havest it and not su much by the value of the soil.

yet in a society where labour is not a factor anymore then the value of the
soil will mostly determin the value.

 those who own the land with access to rare-minerals, oil, space for wind
turbines and solar panels, etc.. will hold the keys to value.

  and of course those who command the "dead labour" frozen in so called
"intellectual property".

we should fight the later and fairly distribute access to the former. in the
communist utopia still the ecological footprint ("its use of soil") would be
a measure of the value of goods - so that we make careful use of it.

in the distopian version the ones that got rich via their control of
technology will use their wealth to buy all the soil and thus cementing
their power.

so i think "return to feudalism" describes this well...

mond