t byfield on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 17:42:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Barcelona: nationalism, municipalism?

On 4 Oct 2017, at 11:13, oliver lerone schultz wrote:

I think this is a very relevant position for the nettime public, coming from xnet, right in the middle between progressive politics and critical
digital culture...

A few pointers re the internet angle — because they're at hand, not because it's the most important or interesting aspect at all:

[20 Sept] https://www.netcommons.eu/?q=content/internet-censorship-and-blockade-catalonia-self-sovereign-internet-infrastructures

Execsum: "The offices of the .cat registry were raided by Spanish police this morning. The Guardia Civil officers entered the .cat registry’s offices around 9am local time this morning and have seized all computers in the domain registry's offices in downtown Barcelona. The move comes a couple of days after a Spanish court ordered the domain registry to take down all .cat domain names being used by the upcoming Catalan referendum."

[21 Sept] https://www.internetsociety.org/news/statements/2017/internet-society-statement-internet-blocking-measures-catalonia-spain/

Execsum: "We are concerned by reports that this court order would require a top-level domain (TLD) operator such as .CAT to begin to block 'all domains that may contain any kind of information about the referendum'. We do not see it as the expertise and mandate of TLD operators within the Internet’s ecosystem to engage in monitoring and blocking of content outside of receiving judicial requests related to specific domains.... We are concerned that network blocking practices are multiplying as a way for countries to police online content around the globe."

Cheers,