Gary Hall on Thu, 14 Dec 2017 17:12:53 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Locating ArtScience

Dear Eric,

Thanks for this.

I like the idea of singular nonhuman personalities and systems producing moments of when something transformative comes into being. And that of using a perverse subjectivity to escape the perversion of subjectivity.

The only thing I might add would be that, for me, any such subjectivity would not assume that the boundaries between the human and nonhuman are drawn arbitrarily. Nor that they are largely meaningless. Rather, the drawing of such boundaries would be where the political comes into play.

One way of developing that line of thought would be to build on Chantal Mouffe's definition of the political as a decision taken precisely in an arbitrary terrain. Another would be by adding the concept of the 'cut' to those of diffraction and intra-action that Annie pointed us toward in the work of Karen Barad.

Thanks, too, for the kind words about Reinventing the Humanities and Posthumanities etc. Actually, a nicely packaged version of that material (with pictures and everything) has just been published in the Techne: Art+Research series as The Inhumanist Manifesto: Extended Play. If you're interested, you can download it for free here:

http://art.colorado.edu/research/Hall_Inhumanist-Manifesto.pdf

Best, Gary