Morlock Elloi on Fri, 19 Jan 2018 05:36:49 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> why isn't memetics a thing?

Because the slightest official concession (ie. including it in the education system) that the present society is mainly based on organized lying would have devastating consequences. Every era needs a taboo, and this is ours.

Instead, scholars and thinkers must operate around it, bowing to and internalizing the mantra that truth matters (and exists), and benignly challenging the surface here and there.

Heretics get worse treatment than Giordano Bruno - they fall under Conspiracy Theory diagnosis (burning at the stake proved counterproductive.) One thing is sure - it's a more effective deterrent. Seen any lately? I mean, Middle Ages were swarming with heretics, there was a stake show every weekend, and what we have today? Salaried heretics? Sheesh.