Yusef Audeh on Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:03:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Request for a loan from the Guggenhelm

The golden toilet by Cattelan is one of the few works of art which can begin to describe Trump's ascent in America accurately.

The only other work of art I can think of is Jan Mandijn's 16th-century Flemish masterpiece Burlesque Feast :P

Bravo, Nancy!

-Yusef

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 7:07 AM, nettime's golden shower <nettime@kein.org> wrote:

From: Nancy specter
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 8:18 AM
To: Smithi Donna A.-- --
Subject: Request for a loan from the Guggenhelm

Dear Donna Hayashi Smith,

Many thanks for your request to the Guggenheim Museum to borrow Vincent
Van Gogh's Landscape in the Snow for the President and First Lady's
private quarters in the white House. We are pleased that they are
interested in demonstrating their support for the arts by showcasing
treasures from the nation's cultural institutions. lam sorry, however,
to inform you that we are unable to participate in this loan since the
painting is part of the museum'sThannhauser collection, which is
prohibited from travel except for the rarest of occasions, and we just
received permission from the Thannhauser Estate to allow the work to
travel to our sister institution in Bilbao, Spain for an exhibition. I'm
afraid that after its showing abroad, it will need to remain on
permanent View In our Thannhauser Galleries for the foreseeable future.

Fortuitously, a marvelous work by the celebrated contemporary italian
artist, Maurizio cattelan, is coming off View today after a
year's installation atthe Guggenheim, and he would like to offer it to
the white House for a long-term loan. It is a solid, lair gold
toilet that was installed in one of our public restrooms for all to use
In a wonderful act of generosity. The work beautifully
channels the history of 20 century avant-garde art by referencing Marcel
Duchamp's famous urinal of 1917. We would be pleased to help facilitate
this loan for the artist should the President and First Lady have any
interest in installing it in the white House.

It is, of course, extremely valuable and somewhat fragile, but we would
prayide all the instructions for its installation and care. I am
including an image for your reference.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have; please feel free to
call me on the numbers below.

We are sorry not to be able to accommodate your original request but
remain hopeful that this special offer may be of interest.

With kindest regards,

Nancy Specter

#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
#  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
#  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@kein.org
#  @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: