Newmedia on Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:34:23 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> They Say We Can’t Meme: Politics of Idea Compression/Geert Lovink & Marc Tuters

Geert:

The *medium* (or what we now call psycho-technological environments) that generated “memes” is, of course, the same one that dominated people’s lives when they were “discovered” in the 1970s – TELEVISION.  Are you sure that’s how you’d like anyone to behave today?

That medium is no longer “in control” and, as the name “nettime” signifies, we now live in a very different *time* -- in which DIGITAL technology has become the “ground of our experience.”  However, following this archeology through with McLuhan (and his interest in Gestalt), what happens when the *ground* changes is that the previous “ground” (i.e. the one that generated memes) becomes a *figure* and, as a result, becomes “obsolete” – which is to say it becomes everywhere-in-your-face but no longer has the previous fundamental psychological impact (as discussed in the 1988 “Laws of Media”).

To presume that recent “populist” developments are the result of *memes* -- as opposed to this fundamental shift in underlying environments – is to succomb to the same “television” way of looking at things.  Are you sure that’s how you’d like anyone to think about such things today?

On May Day 2017 (illustrated with my favorite IWW graphic), some of us published an essay on this – yes, on the site called “Medium” – titled “The End of Memes or McLuhan 101” which might be of some interest hereabouts . . . <g>

https://medium.com/rally-point-perspectives/the-end-of-memes-or-mcluhan-101-2095ae3cad02

Mark Stahlman

Jersey City Heights

Sent from Mail for Windows 10