jhopkins@neoscenes.net on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 22:01:57 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> In the eye of the Cambridge Analytica storm

Geert - no need to conspire -- simple action suffices ... the most
powerful act is to identify the communications protocols one is using, and identify who owns (or controls) those protocols, and stop using the ones that are harvesting your attention in the form of your life-time and your life-energy. Stop using the ones that further concentrate power. It is possible to survive w/o them. I left fazebuch in 2010 after being an early adopter (since
I was teaching about the effects of technology on human relation.

'told you so' seems harsh and counter-productive when the combined thought power of nettime was not sufficient to deter 'participation' in fazebuch by the majority. Maybe a start is to simply frame the lessons learned in the possibly short amount of time before things get 'really' crazy...

jh

the nature of reality...