Patrice Riemens on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 17:16:04 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: Re: In the eye of the Cambridge Analytica storm

Group return didn't work and send my post into the nettime walhalla ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: <nettime> In the eye of the Cambridge Analytica storm
Date: 2018-03-22 17:10
From: Patrice Riemens <patrice@xs4all.nl>
To: Geert Lovink <geert@xs4all.nl>

unDear nettimers,

And what about a life without 'social' media? - and hence without 'discussions' about 'social media'?

Ciaoui, p+7D!
("Actionism - the infantile malady of activism")

On 2018-03-21 19:47, Geert Lovink wrote:
Dear nettimers,

I know, this is (not) the time for us to speak up… The CA events are
taking over, mainstream media are publishing one strange message after
the after—and the activists shut their mouth, thinking: I told you so
a trillion years ago...

What’s do be done? We discussed that question on the Unlike Us list
and here on nettime already from the very beginning, in 2011.

Is it an idea to organize a thousand bigger and smaller Facebook
farewell parties? What’s for sure is that it really helps to do this
out in the open, together.

Who wants to start this time? A few of you approached me recently with
the question if this would be done together, and if so, when and
where. Now is the time, if not now, when? Come together, conspire, get
things moving!

Random links:

Here is one of the instruction pages how to leave Facebook:
https://mashable.com/2018/03/20/facebook-replacement-openbook-competition/#UL3yreRCRZqJ

This is an interesting ‘Facebook’ discussion on Reddit (via Michael Dieter):
https://www.reddit.com/r/reactiongifs/comments/85znl4/reddits_reaction_when_the_world_has_finally_begun/?st=JF0UL9ON&sh=80895fac

Max Krems of Europe vs. Facebook on the current situation:
https://noyb.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Media-Update-Cambridge-Analytica-en.pdf

Information about Cambridge Analytica in India (via Tripta Chandola):
https://twitter.com/therealjpk/status/976484505035751424

David Carrol’s legal action against Cambridge Analytica:
https://thinkprogress.org/this-professor-is-suing-cambridge-analytica-to-find-out-how-they-profiled-him-e52cdfb7d3fe/

More later, Geert