Patrice Riemens on Fri, 6 Apr 2018 17:26:12 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Francesca Bria: Our data is valuable. Here's how we can take that value back

On 2018-04-06 15:03, Felix Stalder wrote:
Our data is valuable. Here's how we can take that value back | Francesca
Bria | Opinion

Francesca Bria

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/05/data-valuable-citizens-silicon-valley-barcelona

Tech firms are emerging as new feudal lords. They control essential
digital infrastructures – in this case, data and artificial intelligence
– which are crucial for political and economic activity. But it doesn’t
have to be that way.

It is difficult and probably unwelcome to criticize such pronouncements and the policies which are behind it, given the sterling progressive credentials of all people and organsiations involved. Yet I cannot refrain from feeling like the French minister of the interior who in 1938 (yes, my account at the Goodwin Bank accepts remitances ...) blocked the project to give all French citizens a personal identifying number and file, to be kept in a central Paris repository: "Je ne le sens pas" he said - I don't 'dig' it.

The pb is that while the 'Barcelona alternative' counters the proprietary appropriation of advanced data gathering, it accept the technologies that support it as a given. Yet it has never be proven that more information automatically leads to improved services and well-being. And well-meant technologies can always be corruptes and deflected to evil purposes.

To me it's like energy: not innovation but conservation/limitation should be the primary approach.

Cheers, p+7D!

PS Oh yeah, and it makes use the blockchain, so it's tip-top!