Jaromil on Sun, 8 Apr 2018 13:41:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Francesca Bria: Our data is valuable. Here's how we can take that value back

dear Joseph,

On Sun, 08 Apr 2018, Joseph Rabie wrote:

>    Hallo all,
>    This statement by Jaromil is very revealing:
>
>      obviously you are reading just an opinion piece for the Guardian's
>      large audience. I would love if we can find a way so that your
>      attention is spent on more appropriate information that only you and a
>      few other people can understand about DECODE.

yes Joe but pleeease, I'm not revealing: I'm consciously writing. I
love literature, I know we are in a public space and I definitely mean
what I write. I'm not slipping things out of my mind so that can be
"revealed" by people accusing me of being an elitist. So please Joe,
chill pill, ok?

>    "that only you and a few other people can understand"...  So - if
>    I understand correctly - according to Jaromil, there is on the
>    one hand, a technically savvy elite, and on the other, the
>    ignorant rest of us.

To acknowledge the problem, rather than negate it, is a start towards
the solution. Please for a moment think about your slanted attempt at
framing. Through the (rather enormous, yes, because we do work for
that money) narrative of DECODE, you will clearly find that the effort
behind the newly released software https://zenroom.dyne.org and other
ongoing developments is that of making intelligible technical
knowledge that only a few elites can understand and therefore manage.

Actually, a lot of my hands-on and theoretical work on technology is
about this.

So then yes. I know Carlo knows C language and technical architectures
very well and yes, knowing his level of knowledge: its a very limited
minority of people who can read that and assess it.

With regards to some specific domains, like that of cryptographic
trasformations on privacy entitlements and credentials, I believe that
through the development of domain specific languages the gap can be
overcome. This is part of what I see as I perceive as my own political
mission in DECODE. I articulated aspects of this approach here
https://zenroom.dyne.org/whitepaper/#[10,%22XYZ%22,72,608.17,null]

So my response to you is that, while you are accusing me of an
elitarist crime, I'm trying to present to the list a project that is
precisely addressing the techno-elitarian gap and does its best to
overcome it. Nevertheless thanks for your participation and any other
precious time you will dedicate in considering the contents of the
DECODE project.

ciao

--
  Denis Roio a.k.a. Jaromil  http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities